See Also: Technology Stack and Methodology Experience, Honors and Awards, Media and Publications, and What I Do for Fun.
- My Passion: Creating technology that transforms how we work, live, and play
- Grew up in NJ. Lived in the North East (USA), South East (USA), NorCal and SoCal, and as two-time expat
(the UK and Scandinavia)
- Graduate of MIT (SB in aeronautical and astronautical engineering) and Harvard University (MPP)
- Began writing software: 1982 (building and hacking gaming software in Grammar School).
- First Internet development: 300-baud, half-duplex modem in 1985 (Middle School) using my Commodore 64.
- First Mobile, Tablet and Wearable development: That’s Classified–I’m not kidding–circa 1994)
- First Big Data development: That’s Classified too–
an Exabyte-scale system circa 1993. Recently (2013-2017) built Savi’s Hybrid Lambda Architecture for sensor fusion and analytics.
- First Machine Learning development: circa 1995 (also Classified). First Patent: An algorithm like Random Forest but with improved safeguards against Type I and II error. Recently: Building neural networks in Udacity’s Autonomous Vehicle Program.
- First Elastic Computing development: Building always-on, horizontally-scalable web services in 1998. IaaS (AWS, Azure, GCP) user since 2009 — now focusing on 100% empherality.
- First Streaming Processing: circa 1993 (also Classified). A decade later invented AOL’s CEP platform and infrastructure. A former user of Storm and Spark Streaming now moving to AWS Kinesis and GCP Cloud Dataflow.
- First job: Staff Scientist (programming satellite navigation software) at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (in Group 101 working on SDI–a.k.a. “Star Wars”).
- Currently: Head of Infrastructure & Ops for a leading consumer tech company. We provide the infrastructure, tools and micro-services to enable hundreds of developers to iterate rapidly for improve the experiences of over 140 million active users.
- Previously: CTO at Savi Technology combining hardware engineering, M2M, Mobile, Data Engineering & Machine Learning to build the software to optimize the Industrial IoT.
- Twenty-five years turning new and emerging technologies into award-winning products, platforms, and services. My teams have won 28 tech and product awards, 16 in the past seven years.
- Leadership experience: 16 years (R&D, Architecture, Product, Engineering, QA, DevOps, Operations, Professional Services, General Management) – eleven years at the executive level (with monthly Board and investor interaction), six years leading global organizations in Fortune-200 companies
- Hands-on technology experience: 15 years as an Engineer, Tech Lead and Architect. I still prototype for scale and performance testing (especially for data engineering and productizing machine learning) and occasionally open-source my work.
- Employment experience:
3/4 Engineering & Ops : 1/4 Product & Business Owner;
2/3 Fortune-200 & Late State : 1/3 Seed & Early Stage
- What I do for fun: Travel, hiking, cooking, photography.