- My Passion: Creating technology that transforms how we work, live and play
- Grew up in NJ. Lived in the North East (USA), South East (USA), NorCal and SoCal, and as an expat in the UK.
(I currently live in Washington, DC)
- Graduate of MIT (SB in aeronautical and astronautical engineering) and Harvard University (MPP)
- Began writing software: 1982 (building and hacking gaming software in Grammar School).
- First Internet development: 400-baud, half-duplex modem in 1985 (Middle School)
- First Mobile, Tablet and Wearable development: That’s Classified–I’m not kidding–circa 1994)
- First Big Data development: That’s Classified too–
an Exabyte-scale system circa 1993. Now (2013-Present) building Savi’s Hybrid Lambda Architecture (patent pending)
- First Machine Learning development: circa 1995 (also Classified). Now: my work at Savi resulting in the following awards: top sensor analytics product by Ventana Research and Company of the Year by Frost & Sullivan and IoT Evolution Product of the Year by TMC.
- First Elastic Computing development: Building always-on, horizontally-scalable web services in 1998. Recently broke 5,000 events per node per second with Spark. My Cassandra schemas have median transaction times under 60 micro-seconds
- First Complex Event Processing: circa 1993 (also Classified). A decade later invented AOL’s CEP platform and infrastructure. Now a user of both Storm and Spark Streaming
- First job: Staff Scientist (programming satellite navigation software) at MIT Lincoln Laboratory (in Group 101 working on SDI–a.k.a. “Star Wars”)
- Now: Chief Technology Officer (CTO) at Savi combining hardware engineering, M2M, Mobile, Data Engineering & Machine Learning to build the software to optimize the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Also: General Partner, Consultant and Contract Executive at Oulixeus Consulting
- Twenty-five years turning new and emerging technologies into award-winning products, applications and services. My teams have won 28 tech and product awards, 16 in the past seven years.
- Leadership experience: 16 years (R&D, Architecture, Product, Engineering, QA, DevOps, Operations, Professional Services, General Management) – ten years at the executive level (with monthly Board and investor interaction), six years leading global organizations in Fortune-200 companies
- Hands-on technology experience: 15 years as an Engineer, Tech Lead and Architect. I still prototype for scale and performance testing (especially for data engineering and productizing machine learning) and occasionally open-source my work.
- Employment experience: 3/4 creating award-winning tech for business : 1/4 driving tech as a business and product owner;
2/3 Fortune-200 : 1/3 Early Stage
- What I do for fun: Travel, hiking, cooking, photography.
Contact Me For: New ventures; advisor, board membership and consulting requests; expertise and due diligence analysis; blogging, panelist and public speaking requests. If you are social media-inclined, you can connect with me via Twitter, LinkedIn. I can also be reached at Haughwout [at] alum [dot] MIT [dot] edu.